Monday, October 5, 2015

Cinderalla

CinderallaCinderalla, by Junko Mizuno, 144 pages

Okay, this is a super-adult, super-weird, kind of grotesque, wait- really grotesque, loose re-telling of the Cinderella story.  Cinderalla runs a yakitori restaurant with her dad, who dies, but becomes a zombie, as the dead do.  He falls in love with a fellow zombie who also has two zombie daughters.  Cinderalla is soon constantly making pancakes for her new zombie stepmother, making bras for one of her step-sisters and keeping the other from performing lap-dances on customers (note: see the first sentence).  Also, everything is drawn in a very cute manner, but belies the fact that it's pretty darn gross most of the time.  And despite all of that... I found this utterly fascinating.  Also, kind of humorous if you can get past the gross and weird and unsettling.  A pretty fascinating read on a fairytale retold in a very unique manner.

3 comments:

  1. You are always finding the best weird comics before I hear about them. What are your sources?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaand, this one's from 2002. So, "before I hear about them" is a fairly meaningless statement.

      Delete
    2. LOL- I think this one was on my "to-read" list on Goodreads for about 6 years- I have no idea where I found it. :D

      But if it's a weird or bizarre comic, I want to know about it!

      Delete