Monday, June 18, 2018

I'm Just Happy to Be Here

I'm Just Happy to Be Here: A Memoir of Renegade Mothering by Janelle Hanchett  310 pages

"From the creator of the blog "Renegade Mothering," Janelle Hanchett's forthright, wickedly funny, and ultimately empowering memoir chronicling her tumultuous journey from young motherhood to abysmal addiction and a recovery she never imagined possible."

At 21, Janelle Hanchett didn't expect to get pregnant, especially not with a guy she'd only known for three months. Rebellious and a free spirit by nature, Janelle found that after having the baby, she was bored, feeling directionless, and seeking relief in wine way too often.  Over time, her drinking habit became worse and she started taking drugs. Along the way, she had more children, but she was still battling addiction and wound up separating from her children. For 10 years, she went through rehab to therapists and finally found sobriety (although in a way she never expected).

I had read a review of this book as well as the above quote and this one (both from the publisher): "This is a story we rarely hear--of the addict mother not redeemed by her children; who longs for normalcy but cannot maintain it; and who, having traveled to the bottom of addiction, all the way to "society's hated mother," makes it back, only to discover she will always remain an outsider."  I found this to be an interesting book, and definitely a kind of memoir that I had not read before ----- but I actually didn't enjoy it that much.  I didn't find the book "wickedly funny," and actually most of the time found I was pretty unsympathetic towards the author.  That's a personal reaction --- and I know some readers may really enjoy this book.  I just didn't like it that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment