Friday, May 27, 2022

Marion Lane and the Deadly Rose

Marion Lane and the Deadly Rose (Book 2 in a series) by T. A. Willberg 304 pages

Back in 2020, when I reviewed the first book in this series (“Marion Lane and the Midnight Murders,” I stated that it was interesting enough to keep me reading, but that I wouldn’t read any more in the series. Ah, the power of receiving a free Advanced Reader’s Copy in the mail!

London 1959. The Cold War is in full swing. Far below the city streets are a series of secret tunnels and passages, shifting doors and hallways, gadgets of all kinds and the home of Miss Brickett’s Investigations & Inquiries. They are a group of researchers, spies, agents that take on the cases that Scotland Yard cannot solve.

Scotland Yard is stumped once again. Someone is murdering Londoners and leaving a special image with each one: a rose branded onto the body. Newspapers have nicknamed the killer “The Florist.”

Marion Lane is now in her second year with the agency. As the agency begins to be involved, Marion begins receiving off notes about the new recruits, that one of them cannot be trusted. This distracts her from The Florist Case, especially when another second-year is murdered. This murder casts speculation and distrust among the other employees of Miss Brickett’s.

I disliked this novel more than I did the first one. I felt like I was in “Get Smart” episode. It tried to be serious, but the result was far-fetched. “Marion Lane and the Deadly Rose” receives 1 out of 5 stars in Julie’s world.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment