Thursday, April 21, 2016

Girls and Sex

Girls and Sex: Navigating the Complicated New Landscape by Peggy Orenstein.  236 pages (before notes)

"With casual hookups and campus rape relentlessly in the news, parents can be forgiven for feeling anxious about their young daughters. They’re also fearful about opening up a dialog. Not Orenstein. A contributing writer to the New York Times Magazine and the New York Times best-selling author of books like Cinderella Ate My Daughter, Orenstein spoke to psychologists, academics, and other experts in the field and yes, 70 young women, to offer an in-depth picture of “girls and sex” today."

I don't usually just take the summary of a book from Goodreads, but I figured that for this book, it made the most sense.    I had been reading a lot about this book, and then heard the author on a Slate podcast, so I was curious about what this book would be like.   I found it a combination of things: fascinating, scary, a bit depressing . . . and seriously, I think it should be required reading for a lot of parents.   Strike that; even if you don't have a daughter, read this book.  It was really interesting to read what some of the girls that Orenstein interviewed had to say, and there were a bunch of things that I found surprising (and sad).

This made for an interesting read, but I think the most powerful thing about the book is that it creates an opportunity for some dialogue, and hopefully, some determination towards making some positive changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment