Friday, June 17, 2016

Life After Life

Life After Life by Kate Atkinson    560 pages

Kate Atkinson’s novel is tricky. In this novel, with death not an ending but a beginning, it’s hard to know what is reality. The story opens in November 1930. The main protagonist, Ursula, kills Adolph Hitler for an unknown reason. Then the novel reverts to a cold, snowy, January night in 1910. Sylvie Todd is giving birth; the doctor does not arrive before the baby makes its appearance. However, the baby girl dies, strangled by the umbilical cord. In the next chapter, taking place on the same night and almost under the same circumstances, the results are very different. The doctor is able to make it through the snow and the baby, named Ursula, does not die.

Reincarnations, like Ursula’s birth, that are the crux of Atkinson’s novel and these types of episodes appear over and over although not in a linear structure. The novel moves over the course of the early 20th century. Most of the story takes places between 1910 and 1947, with one chapter stretching to 1967.

At times the plot was difficult to understand. Just about the time I got into a linear stretch, the time moved again. I felt as if I was reading basically a linear plot that continually moved forward, yet had room for the “what if’s?” of  life.

There was one chapter where Ursula is best friends with Eva Braun, is married and has a child. That seemed to come from nowhere and was, for me, quite confusing.


By the time I was turned the last page, I had gotten to know these characters very, very well, perhaps more so than if Life After Life was a traditional love. It was starting to get a little old about two-thirds through the 560 pages, which I why I’m giving Life After Life 4 out of 5 stars. However, I do think this is a book that can be read over and over and over. As a person moves through his or her life, like Ursula, a new reading, I think, will create even newer worlds.

No comments:

Post a Comment