Friday, June 17, 2016

Mountain Interval


Mountain Interval by Robert Frost  84 pages

Choices of past seem to be a theme with me lately it seems. Recently I was induced to read a collection of poetry for my book group. Luckily for me, one of America’s most beloved poets, Robert Frost, was chosen.

From Frost’s many collections, my friend chose Mountain Interval. These 30 poems were originally published in 1916. However, Frost made several changes to the collection’s sequencing and released the new (and improved?) edition in 1920.

I’ve read both the 1916 version and the 1920 version (thank God for libraries), and I don’t feel that it makes any difference as to the order. This collection contains one of the most well-known and cherished pieces of prose in American history: “The Road Not Taken.”

The collection is divided into six sections: Christmas Trees (probably my favorite ones), In the Home Stretch, Birches, The Hill Wife, The Bonfire, and Snow (my second favorite). Do I see another pattern here with the winter? Yes, I do love winter. And snow.

I give Mountain Interval 5 out of 5 stars.



No comments:

Post a Comment