Tuesday, September 13, 2016

The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo

The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo by Amy Schumer.  323 pages.

This memoir is written like a series of essays, and takes the reader through parts of Amy Schumer's life as she shares stories about her teenage life, family and relationships (and yes, even writes about sex).  While there are a lot of humorous parts in this book, there are also some pretty reflective and touching stories here.  Amy Schumer writes the way you expect she might: up front and unapologetic.

I had been curious about whether this book would be a mix of things, and it definitely was; there are parts that are super-funny, but also parts where Amy Schumer writes about her family. Her stories about her father are especially touching.  If you're also thinking some of the stories might be cringe-worthy, you're right.  However, I found it to be a good book, and I came away from it with even more respect for Amy.  While I don't agree with everything she says, I certainly had a few "YES" moments when I was reading this.  And I also had a few times where I started laughing pretty hard, so it was good that I read this book at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment