Thursday, September 29, 2016

Truth Always Kills


Truth Always Kills by Rick Ollerman   256 pages

St. Pete, Florida, homicide detective Jeff Prentiss’ life is falling apart. His wife, Lori, has just left him and taken their daughter, Roxy. He’s exactly sure why, but he believes it has to do with the recent release of her jailbird ex, Roy Lee Evans.

As he is wallowing in his grief, he is called to the beach, where a body has been discovered, an apparent suicide. The body belongs to the King of Cats, Randy Shawcross. It took me about a fourth of the book before I truly understood that Shawcross was a cat burglar, which seems so odd.  Across the bay in Tampa, a politician is also murdered.

Prentiss is up to his eyeballs in trouble back in the squad room. But now he must circumvent his superiors as he investigates the link between the two violent deaths.


Truth Always Kills is a typical PI book. I found that it lacked tension for me. I was never truly pulled in. Well, wait, there is that one scene that did have me gasping, but I cannot divulge any of it here as it would be a huge spoiler. Truth Always Kills is an okay read, which is why I’m giving it 3 out of 5 stars, but it’s not a memorable read…nor is Prentiss and his supporting cast.  

No comments:

Post a Comment