Thursday, July 12, 2018

The year of reading dangerously

The Year of Reading Dangerously: How Fifty Great Books (and Two Not-So-Great Ones) Saved My Life by Andy Miller     352 pages

Andy Miller liked his job. He loved his family.  He liked to read, but he had no time for reading (at least that's what he kept telling himself).  However, he knew there were books he meant to read, books that he had always meant to pick up. Making a determined effort, Andy made a list and worked his way through it, reading all kinds of literature, and embarking upon an odyssey of reading.

I read this book at someone's suggestion and for the most part, enjoyed it. It's interesting to read about someone's take on books that I have not read or read, including ones that are on lists like "books everyone should read."  Sometimes, the book was a little dry.  However, I found the author to be engaging and the book wasn't just about him and his reading, which was nice.

Admittedly, I have not read some classic books. While I studied literature in school, at this point in my life, I read books I want to read.  There are a lot of books out there, so I don't want to spend time reading a book that's on a list, or to say "Oh yes, I've read Moby Dick."  I haven't read Moby Dick. I don't find the story sounds that appealing, I have no problem admitting I haven't read it . . . and I just don't want to.  I have no problem with people who have read that book and absolutely love it --- but I'm not going to read something because I think I should.  I do enough of that at work and if I take a class, so I'd rather read what I like.  Which is one of the nice things about being a grownup -- I may read what I like.  With a glass of wine if I want to and completely ignore the vacuuming for a hour or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment