Monday, July 9, 2018

You Think It, I'll Say It

You Think It, I'll Say It by Curtis Sittenfeld   226 pages

In this collection of stories, Sittenfeld brings the reader a number of memorable characters. There's a high-powered lawyer on her honeymoon who encounters someone who tormented her in high school. A suburban mom fantasizes about the downfall of an old friend whose lifestyle empire may (or may not) be built on a lie. A woman entertains the idea of an affair only to come up against the facts of her own personality.

These are just a few of ten stories in this collection.  While I didn't love every story, I actually enjoyed reading all of them and found that some of the characters really stuck with me after I finished the book.  I like that the author plays with ideas of class, gender roles and relationships and to me, all of the characters felt very realistic. I also liked that sometimes, I would start a story and feel like I was learning more about the main character as I went along; I like that not everything is explained right away, so that you may start with an assumption and then as the story continued learn that it's better to actually not make any assumptions.  Which actually is the premise behind of the stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment