Sunday, February 17, 2019

Blood Orange

Blood Orange by Harriet Tyce   340 pages  I read a galley - book is on order for SLPL

Alison seems to have it all: a great career on the rise, a loving husband, an adorable daughter. However, she's putting all of it at jeopardy because she can't control her drinking. If that weren't enough, she's also having an affair with a colleague whose taste for pushing boundaries makes their encounters dangerous. However much she wants to (or does she), Alison can't give up her lover or the alcohol.

When Alison is assigned her first murder case to defend, she finds something about her client's story seems a bit off. Adding to her stress over the case are the nasty, anonymous texts she starts receiving from someone who seems to know Alison's secrets.  And then, things really start to go off the rails . . .

I really enjoyed this book and read it on a 5-hour train ride, finishing it because I was reading at whip-speed. Alison's a character that reminds me a little of the main character in The Girl on the Train, a woman who is out of control and can't seem to get herself on track. The drinking, the bad decisions -- Alison just doesn't seem to care that she's ruining her life.  I sometimes found I was so annoyed with her that I was muttering under my breath.  However, as she gets more into her murder case, her relationship with her husband seems to be changing --- and you definitely get a sense that something is off. However, it's hard to tell just what that something is. And while I had a sense of what could be happening, when the big reveal came, I was so shocked!!!  Which is a good thing.  Definitely keeping this one for a re-read in the future!!

No comments:

Post a Comment