Saturday, March 30, 2019

Let's Bring Back: An Encyclopedia of Forgotten-Yet-Delightful, Chic, Useful, Curious, and Otherwise Commendable Things from Times Gone By

Let's Bring Back: An Encyclopedia of Forgotten-Yet-Delightful, Chic, Useful, Curious, and Otherwise Commendable Things from Times Gone By by Lesley M.M. Blume  256 pages

"The Huffington Post's "Let's Bring Back..." columnist, Lesley M. M. Blume, invites you to consider whatever happened to cuckoo clocks? Or bed curtains? Why do we have so many "friends" but have done away with the much more useful word "acquaintance"? All of these things, plus hot toddies, riddles, proverbs, corsets, calling cards, and many more, are due for a revival. Throughout this whimsical, beautifully illustrated encyclopedia of nostalgia, Blume breathes new life into the elegant, mysterious, and delightful trappings of bygone eras, honoring the timeless tradition of artful living along the way. Inspired by her much loved column of the same name and featuring entries from famous icons of style and culture, Let's Bring Back leads readers to rediscover the things that entertained, awed, beautified, satiated, and fascinated in eras past."  (summary courtesy of Goodreads)

Ok, I admit it: I wouldn't mind bringing some of these things back. Bedroom fireplaces. Croquet. Yes, definitely - but especially if the grass has some hidden pockets and bumps to make it more of a challenge.

Some things I have already brought back . . . like butter. And bread. And fountain pens.  I make no apology. I enjoy good bread and good butter.  I mean, I use the whole butter/olive oil spread stuff in the little tub, but I definitely enjoy good quality butter from time to time.

Some things I could do without, including elbow-length gloves.  However, I really liked going though this book and remembering some things I had completely forgotten about, learning about things that were new to me, and also nostalgically reflecting on things I miss (or don't miss at all).

No comments:

Post a Comment