Monday, March 25, 2019

The Dinner List

The Dinner List by Rebecca Serle    276 pages 

"At one point or another, we’ve all been asked to name five people, living or dead, with whom we’d like to have dinner. Why do we choose the people we do? And what if that dinner was to actually happen?"  And what does it mean when Audrey Hepburn, your best friend and one of your professors shows up at dinner?  That's just one of the questions that the author explores here when Sabrina arrives at her 30th birthday dinner.  As the story progresses, it becomes clear that there is a reason why these six people have been gathered together.

However, it seemed to me to take a long time to figure this out. I liked the concept of the five people at a dinner, but I felt like it took me a while to connect to Sabrina. I liked how there were chapters set in the past and in the present (at the dinner), but I found the chapters set in the past to be more interesting and compelling.  I found Sabrina's best friend, Jessica, to be not that good of a friend at all.  The theme of how a decision in our lives can create a ripple effect that lasts years isn't lost on me ---- but several times while reading the book, I lost some interest. I found the relationship between Sabrina and Tobias (who is her main love interest) to be complicated in a way that sometimes irritated me.  Mostly, I wanted to like the book more than I did.  

No comments:

Post a Comment