Sunday, August 30, 2020

The Good Sister


 The Good Sister by Sally Hepworth        306 pages  I read a galley 

Rose and Fern are as close as two sisters can be, but they're each hiding a dark secret from each other. Rose is the responsible one, with a steady job and loving husband and burning desire to become a mother. Fern is the free spirit, a librarian who avoids social interaction and someone that a lot of people might describe as outright odd. Growing up with a sociopath as a mother, Rose always protected Fern, even when she did something terrible years ago. However, Fern is starting to grow more aware of Rose's own dark secrets. Maybe Rose hasn't been protecting Fern, after all . . . 

I absolutely loved this creepy, compelling and unpredictable story. The two sisters are both interesting characters, and I really liked that Hepworth gives us a main character who has some sensory processing issues (which made me think Fern has a touch of Asperger's). I really liked that there was a sense right away that something was wrong, and a dark thread running through the story --- but you cant tell right away what it is. And when you think you've got it in your grasp, the story slips and turns in a different direction. I liked being kept off balance, especially when I suspected that one of the sisters was an unreliable narrator.  This was an absolutely absorbing read and I really enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment