Saturday, March 27, 2021

Bad Feminist


 Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay  320 pages

Summary from Goodreads: In these funny and insightful essays, Roxane Gay takes us through the journey of her evolution as a woman of color while also taking readers on a ride through culture of the last few years and commenting on the state of feminism today. The portrait that emerges is not only one of an incredibly insightful woman continually growing to understand herself and our society, but also one of our culture.


Bad Feminist is a sharp, funny, and spot-on look at the ways in which the culture we consume becomes who we are, and an inspiring call-to-arms of all the ways we still need to do better

And here's what I thought: I re-read this book for a book group discussion and like other comments I've made about collections of essays, I enjoyed some essays in this book more than others. I like Gay's writing style, both in fiction and nonfiction, and like Rebecca Solnit's collection, Men Explain Things to Me, there are some moments of wry humor in Gay's essays, even as some of her other essays are unflinching when addressing serious topics. I will admit, I absolutely love Gay's essay about playing in Scrabble tournaments -- every time I read this essay, I laugh out loud because it's not just the main essay, but also the little side notes, often snarky, that make it so funny. 

No comments:

Post a Comment