Thursday, March 11, 2021

Hour of the Witch

 Hour of the Witch by Chris Bohjalian 416 pages

The last time author Chris Bohjalian was in St. Louis, I was lucky enough to be first in line at his book signing. St. Louis was the first stop, if I remember correctly, of his book tour for “The Flight Attendant.” I was eager to start reading after his wonderful presentation, but since I had a chance, I chatted with him for a minute before he had to get to work. I had one important, burning question: “What’s next?”

 He told me that he was researching a book about Puritans in the 17th century and the witch trials that rocked Massachusetts. He had become fascinated with that time period when he was in college. I was disappointed when it wasn’t the next book he released (which was “The Red Lotus,” another great read!). Maybe next year, I thought.

Not long ago, I began to see blurbs and advertisements for his latest adventure, “Hour of the Witch.” Here it was! I lucky enough get my hands on an Advanced Reader’s Copy (ARC). I was shocked it was even available because during the time of covid-19, as publishers cut way back on print copies. A writer of his stature doesn’t need ARCs to gain momentum. He writes and people, including me, buy his book. I don’t even have to know what it’s about. If Chris Bohjalian wrote, I’m probably gonna love it.

I am not a big fan of stories set in the 17th century; they don’t grab me. But, boy, this one sure did. From its first sentence (“It was always possible that the Devil was present.”) to its last, I was enthralled with Mary Deerfield’s story.

The place is Boston; the year is 1662. Women have been hung after accusations they were practicing witchcraft. Young Mary Deerfield is a newlywed. Her husband, Thomas, is a powerful man, physically and politically. In public, Thomas was ever the attentive husband, but once the front door was closed, Thomas turned into her worse nightmare. He criticized her, he brutalized her in the marriage bed, and he tossed her around their cottage like she was fallen leaf. He was an expert at making up the lies he told whenever someone noticed her bruises. It was painful to read about Thomas’ cruelty and how he would laugh at Mary’s pain and fear.

Mary’s father was an importer. He recently received a shipment of three-tined forks, which were considered the Devil’s utensils. When she finds two of them planted near the cottage gate, she knows someone is trying to frame her as a witch. She is afraid it’s Thomas, or their servant firld. There isn’t much Mary can do legally to fight him.

Thomas’ drinking grows steady worse. When he stabs her in the hand, Mary knows it is time to divorce him.  Divorce is scandalous. It goes against all things God-like. It isn’t right.

The book is broken into two parts. The first is The Book of the Wife. This is where readers see their marriage and experience Mary’s fears and Thomas’s cruelties. The second is The Book of the Witch. Here is where Mary tries to gain a divorce and defend herself against the horrific accusations that are thrown at her.

I need to stop now, or I’m going to spill the beans about an ending that was as shocking as it was redeeming. And perfect. It was perfect!

I loved this story and could hardly put it down. I do have one question for Mr. Bohjalian: “As hard as it was to get used to reading the thee’s and thou’s that was the Puritans way of speaking, how hard was it to write in that style?” Maybe next time he’s in St. Louis, I’ll snag that first spot in line and have a chance to ask him.

What a great read! Hour of the Witch receives 6 out of 5 stars in Julie’s world. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment