Saturday, March 23, 2024

Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing

Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing by Matthew Perry 272 pages

 

It’s Saturday afternoon. I should be cleaning the house, but I want a break, so I turn on the television and about the only thing worth watching is “Friends.” First, I must say I am not in the series’ demographic. I was already middle-aged when it premiered. It’s an okay show, but after reading Perry’s story, I didn’t enjoy it as much as I might have a before I cracked the book’s cover.

 

Perry’s favorite movie was “Groundhog Day,” and it imitates an addict’s life to a tee. Trying to get the drugs/alcohol/sex/whatever puts a person on a never-ending loop. Addicts don’t think much pass the next hit. Also, it is the way this book is written. Perry has the same days over and over and over.

 

Unfortunately, due to his sudden death, most of us know Perry’s story. He successfully hid it, at least on television. But truthfully, I had no idea how bad it was. Heartbreaking to say the least.

Therefore, I don’t have the need to rehash his fears, anxieties, doubts and all the other negative emotions/thoughts here.

 

Instead, I’ll talk about some of the high (no pun intended) points. One, when he learned that God is real via the oceanic view from his home. Two, how he truly had gotten sober but couldn’t quite conquer all his demons. Three, his need to help others kick alcohol like he did. Four, how God helped him kick drugs/alcohol/cigarettes. (He craved cigarettes as much as, or more than, he craved opioids.) One day he couldn’t live without them, the next the cravings were gone---one bad habit at a time.

 

In the end, Perry sounded happy and hopeful, that he had truly turned his life around. I choose to believe that this is true, and his death was the unfortunate result of too many years of hard living. Everything caught up with him on the October night in 2023.

 

Therefore, Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing gets 5 out of 5 stars in Julie’s world.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment