Sunday, December 29, 2013

The Alchemist, Paulo Coelho

The Alchemist, Paulo Coelho  197 pages

         I picked up a copy of The Alchemist at the suggestion of one of my coworkers here at the library, and I was really pleased to do so.  The book felt shorter than its 197 pages, but not rushed.  The story is a simple one, one that I felt I should resist (the story is SO optimistic)- but won me over because of the prose.  It is a lyrical fable of a boy searching for treasure, and the things he learns along the way.
          The tale is one that tells us to follow our dreams- and laments their loss when we choose to give up on them. Various characters are stuck in the lives they have settled for because they got in their own way.  It felt like a "spiritual" book, or a self help book, but wasn't forceful/preachy enough for me to put it down.  I feel like it should be in the same group as Siddhartha, or The Prophet- timeless, and worth revisiting.


No comments:

Post a Comment