Thursday, December 12, 2013

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John Le Carre, 355 pages



I am ashamed to admit that I didn't realize this was a book until I saw the movie, and the book was mentioned in the credits. I know, I know. I am a disgrace to bookworms everywhere!

All shame aside, I really enjoyed this novel. I found it a tad difficult to understand and follow, but my perseverance did not disappoint me in the end. First off, it is written by a British author (John Le Carre, who also wrote The Spy Who Came in From the Cold), and I've always found British English to be a bit difficult to follow despite being a nearly lifelong Sherlock Holmes fan. There was also a lot of "spy jargon" used in the book, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I did a little research on the jargon just so I could understand it better!

Despite the somewhat laborious reading, this book really offers an alternate viewpoint to the world of espionage. I know for me (and maybe for a lot of other people as well), I think of James Bond when the topic arises of fictional spies. The main character in this book, George Smiley, is anything but a James Bond. He has domestic problems with his wife, he describes himself as "fat" and "aged," and only at one point in the book does he ever carry a gun. Even though the character is not as sensational as James Bond, I almost found the difference to be invigorating. George Smiley brought down a mole with logic, research, and help from allies. James Bond would probably have brought down a mole with explosives, three chase scenes, and a girl on each arm. No disrespect to Fleming or Bond intended.

No comments:

Post a Comment