Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Claymore Manga

Claymore Volumes 1-5, by Norihiro Yagi (939 pages/5 books)

Cover image for The Claymore manga series has been on my read list for the last several months, but I had never really gotten around to it. But with this year having bonus points for translated material, and finding myself down 20+ books in my yearly reading challenge, I needed some quick material. Manga certainly qualifies.

Claymore is about an organization of demon slayers, called Claymores. Namely because they carry around huge claymore swords. The organization is comprised of nearly all women, with at least one male organizer. Frankly I am not entirely sure what he does but I suspect that it will be revealed later. The reason the group only has women slayers is because of the entry procedure. To become a Claymore you must be bounded with demons blood. This is nearly always fatal for men, but essential. Without the added strength and speed that blood gives, the demons or youma, as they are called, would easily kill them. But while the blood allows them to kill the demons, it also bears a curse. Everyone who is infected with it will eventually lose control of themselves and turn into a demon.

This series is very action packed, but also pretty gory. As you can imagine, lots of things get hacked apart, and not all of them are demons. So far I am enjoying the series, and look forward to reading more of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment