Monday, September 28, 2015

Seraph of the End Manga

Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign Volumes 1-5, by Takaya Kagami (914 pages/ 5 books)

Cover image for This series starts off with vampires rising up to "save" humanity after a deadly plague kills anyone over the age of thirteen. Unfortunately for the humans being saved comes with a cost, as they are rounded up and brought beneath the Earth for their safety. There they are forced to make blood donations and are treated like livestock. Fed up with being constantly siphoned for blood two twelve year old boys plot their escape and revenge.

This manga is classified as horror and action, but seeing how the vampires are all neatly dressed and look like humans with pointy teeth, I am not sure what is so scary about it. I was initially unsure about reading this series, namely because the plot seemed so shaky. I mean who would think that a couple of kids would pose any threat to some super powerful vampires. But as it turns out, it actually quite good and has a nice twist to it. It also offers a multitude of side plots to help keep the human vampire struggle from getting stale.

My one dislike is the use of magically, or in this case demon enhanced weapons. I fear that this is an early indicator for the classic power leveling that ruins so many series. I will have to keep reading to see if I am right, but I predict that sometime in the next few books the hero will meet someone he cannot beat with his weapon so he will seek out an even stronger one. Then he will be victorious, but eventually the vampires will also have a stronger weapon, and this cycle will repeat. I very much hope I am wrong, but I have seen these loops before.

No comments:

Post a Comment