Monday, December 19, 2016

Season to Taste

Season to Taste by Natalie Young.  Made it to 80 pages before stopping.

"Meet Lizzie Prain. She is an ordinary housewife and lives with her lovely dog and her husband, who is a bit of a difficult fellow, in a quiet cottage in British country side...

No one has seen Lizzie's husband, Jacob, for a few days. That's because last Monday and Lizzie snapped and cracked him on the head with her garden shovel. No one quite misses Jacob though, and Lizzie surely didn't kill him on purpose. And now that she has the chance to live beyond his shadow, she won't neglect her good fortune. Over the course of the following month, with a body to get rid of and few fail-proof options at hand, Lizzie will channel her most practical instincts and do what she does best: she'll cook Jacob, and she'll eat him."


I don't usually use the Goodreads summary.  But I'm doing it here, because when I read it, I thought that I'd be getting an unusual, darkly humorous book.  However, I got to page 80 and just called it quits because 1) I didn't care about Lizzie, 2) the book wasn't funny (and I like dark humor ... but seriously, I wasn't even cracking an occasional wry smile here) and 3) I didn't really care about what was going to happen in the story. I felt like there was potential here, but there was no intrigue. I had expected the whole "eating the husband" to be a bit icky, but it felt grotesque.   This is a book with an interesting premise that isn't handled well enough to actually be a good story.

No comments:

Post a Comment