Tuesday, December 20, 2016

The Fate of the Tearling

The Fate of the Tearling by Erika Johansen.  497 pages.

This is the conclusion to the Tearling trilogy, a book which I have been waiting for for months.  And, it was totally worth the wait, and has convinced me that I will now be buying the three books (which is a big thing for me, since I usually don't buy many books).

This book continues where the 2nd book left off, where Kelsea Glynn has transformed from a plain teenager into a powerful monarch, and now faces off against the Red Queen, who has imprisoned Kelsea.  Faced with impossible choices, and with the Mace serving as Regent in her place, Kelsea needs to figure out how to save herself, and her people.

If you haven't read the previous two books, then my summary (and this book) won't make much sense.  It's a definitely timeline-dependent story, which flows from one book to another.  I appreciated that the author put so much effort into the worldbuilding and the storylines.  It was easy for me to pick up the story and follow it through, and I found I was just as caught up in this book as I had been in the previous books.  One of the things I really enjoy about this trilogy is that when you start the first book, it seems like a typical fantasy-esque book . . . and then as the story continues, it turns into something much more, with timelines that reveal things you wouldn't expect at all.  While I was a bit sad that the trilogy has ended (and actually got a bit choked up at the end), the author did a nice job of tying things up so there's a good resolution to things.

No comments:

Post a Comment