Thursday, October 31, 2019

Camgirl

Camgirl by Isa Mazzei   288 pages

At 23 years old, Isa Mazzei lacked any purpose or direction and was searching for an identity. But how to combine her compulsion for attention and seduction? She decided to embrace her salacious image and make some money off it, becoming a camgirl.

I read an e-galley of this book that is described as "a candid and hilarious memoir of sex work, shame, and self-discovery set in the colorful world of live-streaming camgirls."  I admit it: I was curious. It was definitely a memoir of self-discovery through stripping, playing games, and having sex on camera --- and I found it to be boring. I never warmed to the author and found this memoir to be narcissistic to the point of revulsion. I didn't see much self-growth, even as the author pushes herself to more extreme behavior. Instead, this book came off as the memoir of someone who can never get enough attention and when they feel attention on them is waning, resorts to more and more outrageous behavior. I found the way she behaved towards friends to be pretty deplorable most of the time. She treats strangers better, but only because she wants something from them.

I'm obviously not the person this book is written for (and I am not the enthusiastic reviewer from Booklist, either).  I read this book on vacation and kept reading partly out of curiosity to see if the author would experience any personal growth. Also, mainly because the hotel's wi-fi was weak, so to go back and download a fresh book was a lengthy process.

No comments:

Post a Comment