Thursday, October 31, 2019

Djinn Patrol on the Purple Line

Djinn Patrol on the Purple Line by Deepa Anappara   250 pages

"Three children venture into the darkest corners of a sprawling Indian city to find their missing classmate, in a stunningly original debut novel—based on a true story."

Jai knows he is smarter than his friend Pari (even though she gets better grades) and considers himself to be a better boss than Faiz (even though Jai doesn't have a job). When a classmate goes missing, Jai is sure he can find him, relying on tricks he has learned on a TV show. Asking for help from Pari and Faiz, it seems like they'll find their classmate -- until things become scary and other children start to disappear from their neighborhood.

Okay - I didn't finish this one. The summary made it sound like an interesting book but I got halfway through and just couldn't go any further. I found I wasn't that invested in the characters of the children, and while the setting was very realistic, maybe that was the problem.  I guess I was expecting magical realism? But the real realism got me bogged down into some of the depressing details and I just couldn't make this book work.

No comments:

Post a Comment