Monday, November 30, 2015

Higurashi Massacre Arc

Higurashi when they cry Massacre Arc volumes 1-3 by Ryukishi07, 1472 pages (3 books)

Cover image for At last we get an explanation to the series, but don't expect me to tell you what it is. Read the books, or come and ask me. But I can say that every book, except this one follows a set of rules that govern the murders and violence. If you have read multiple arcs in this series you can guess what some of them are, but since they do not give much, if anything, away I can explain some here. The first rule is that eventually someone will get overly paranoid of their friends and try to kill them all. The second rule is Rika always dies in 1983. There are a couple others, but they hint at events in the books, and are not as general.


There is a lot of talk of destiny and overcoming it in this arc, and I thought, maybe even hoped that this would be the end, that this time things would be different. They had already overcome so much that destroyed their friendship before but I did not see the end coming. It is one of those ends that you close the book, let out some swear words and quickly pick up the next arc.

Even though it takes quite awhile to build up to this explanation, some 4000 pages or so, I now think that it was worth it. Yes it was slow there in the middle, but this arc more than makes up for it. I do wish the books would stop getting thicker and thicker. Seriously this series started at like 200 pages per book and has now grown to nearly 500. And the next arc is even thicker!

No comments:

Post a Comment