Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Stiletto

Stiletto by Daniel O'Malley.  583 pages.

"STILETTO is a novel of preternatural diplomacy, paranoia, and snide remarks."   It's also the sequel to one of my favorite books, The Rook.   

This is a sequel where I would definitely suggest that you read the first book because without the background from The Rook, many things in this story won't make sense.   In this sequel, the two deadly rivals from the first book are forced to make an alliance against a shared enemy.   We have Rook Myfanwy (rhymes with "Tiffany") Thomas again, but we also have two strong supporting characters, Pawn Felicity Clements and from the Grafters, Odette Liliefield.   Felicity and Odette don't like each other at all, and don't really trust each other, but when they are forced to work together to find who is behind recent horrendous attacks, they need to put old hatreds behind them.

I had been wondering if this book would be as enjoyable as the first one, and when I picked it up and noted how big it was, I was a little concerned.  However, from the very first chapter forward, I was hooked and enjoying myself immensely. I enjoy O'Malley's snarky sense of humor and dry wit, and how he writes things like, "Joe, meanwhile, had been so absorbed by the Curious Incident of the Sporadically Vaporous Asian Woman in the Alleyway that he's missed his friend's discommoding behind him."  I snickered to myself a few times, and found that I was frequently surprised by the story (which is nice, because I wasn't always able to predict what was going to happen).

So, if you haven't read The Rook and now you're curious, let me tell you a little bit.  The Rook begins with this quote, "The body you are wearing used to be mine," and a woman named Myfanwy Thomas who has woken up in a London park surrounded by bodies who are all wearing latex gloves.  Myfanwy has no recollection of who she is, but luckily, it appears that she has left notes for herself.  She soon discovers that she is a Rook, a high-ranking member of a secret organization called the Chequy that fights supernatural forces in Britain.  Most members of the Chequy have their own supernatural abilities, and Myfanwy soon discovers that she has powers of her own. However, at the same time she is trying to piece together just who she is (or was), she discovers someone within the Chequy is responsible for her memory loss . . . and this person (or people) are determined to take her out.  The Rook is a thriller of sorts, filled with quirky and compelling (and for me, unforgettable) characters, and an interesting plot that has a smoothly accelerating pace.   You can read my original review of The Rook here.

Did I say this was one of my favorite books?  Well, now I'd say these are two of my favorite books.

No comments:

Post a Comment