Thursday, July 28, 2016

The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.   313 pages.

I think just about everyone knows what this book is about, so I'll give a quick synopsis.  Two teens meet, both in a support group for really sick kids, and fall in love.  Awesome and awful things ensue, but there's some hope at the end.

I read this book for the Booked for Lunch book group, and it was a re-read for me.  I had read it when it was first published and remembered liking it.  This time around, I found myself noticing some things I hadn't remembered.  Overall, I like the book and I think it's an important books for teens, especially, to read because it brings up some good, thought-provoking things.  It's a book that can generate good discussion, as well.

Thinking about it, I wonder if I'm responding differently to this book because I am not the actual audience it's written for; I am not a teen.  I think if I had encountered this book at 13 or 14, I would have been all over it (like fur on a bunny, as I say).  However, reading it as an adult, I find myself wondering about whether teens actually think or talk like Hazel and Gus (even though they are quite mature for their age).  But, overall, I can breeze over that and just enjoy the story.






No comments:

Post a Comment