Tuesday, January 29, 2019

American Princess

American Princess by Stephanie Marie Thornton    488 pages   Read a galley - book is due out March, 2019

I usually don't read a lot of historical fiction, but Julie's review of this book was really good. So when Julie offered to lend me her copy, I thought I'd give it a try.  And, I wound up really enjoying this book!

Since Julie already did a summary on this book, I'll just say that the book is based on the life of Alice Roosevelt, the daughter of President Theodore Roosevelt. I knew a little about Alice, mostly that she was a darling of society and was also outspoken and daring in her behavior. However, beyond that, I didn't know that much. I found myself enjoying the book so much that I was frequently putting it down, grabbing my phone, and looking up people that were in Alice's life. She definitely was a fascinating woman who knew who she was, was comfortable with who she was, and who inevitably found the strength to face her challenges (and challengers).  As the book progresses through her life, you not only get a feel for what her life was like, but what politics were like throughout the years. Alice married a politician who eventually became Speaker of the House, so you have that perspective in addition to her father's political life.

Definitely a fascinating read! 

No comments:

Post a Comment