Saturday, April 13, 2019

Twenty-one Truths About Love

Twenty-one Truths About Love by Matthew Dicks 241 pages  I read a galley - book is due out in October, 2019

Daniel love his wife, Jill, more than anything. However, he's keeping secrets from her and now that she's pregnant, he is afraid he will lose her. Faced with losing his bookstore, Daniel is also struggling in what he feels is the shadow of his wife's first husband (who is deceased), as well as his estrangement from his own father.

Told entirely through the lists that Dan makes, this book is humorous, touching, unique, and quite personal.  I will admit, I stuck with this book because I really loved the author's previous book, Memoir of an Invisible Friend.  However, a book told entirely through lists was an exercise in patience for me to read. Admittedly, while I liked Dan most of the time, I sometimes wanted to shake him; he sometimes drove me nuts. Maybe that's the point, though, when the book is told entirely in a way that's the main character expressing his inner thoughts.  It's definitely a creative way to go about storytelling.  Did I love it enough to keep it and re-read it again and again?  No.  However, I liked it and believe there are readers who will really enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment