Saturday, January 23, 2021

From Pigtails to Chin Hair

 

From Pigtails to Chin Hairs: A Memoir and More by Becky Lewellen Povich  316 pages

I first met the author way back in 2007; I thought she had talent. And after reading her memoir, I know she does, and for me, it was like taking a stroll down memory lane…and cringing at our current bodily state.  Just for the record, she’s a tad older than me, but we grew up in the 1950s and ‘60s. Was it really as simple then or is that how we remember it? Don’t tell me; I like my---and Becky’s---memories the way they are.

The book is divided into six sections. At first, I thought it was important to read them in chronological order, but it wasn’t. I liked that Becky jumped around a bit. Oh, each section had theme, don’t get me wrong, but reading it was like talking with an old friend---we are talking about one thing and another memory pops up, then it’s back to where we were!

The first chapter was about life on the street and the home where she was raised. It looked oh so different as an adult---so much smaller, but the memories are oh so precious.  I remember feeling that when I drove past the home where I spent the first six year of my life. The oak tree was much smaller, as was the house. But mostly, like Becky, I remember the love and the fun we had there. Like life, there were times when this story was hard to read (keep a box of hankies nearby) (her first marriage) and times that I was laughing so hard that I need those hankies (the tale of the klutz genes)!

Now I do have to talk about a one thing that I didn’t like:  Becky, lose ninety-nine percent of the exclamation points. They almost drove me mad! However, it was a privilege reading this book, as I got a chance to watch Becky turn into the confident, creative, intelligent, goofy and beautiful woman that she is today.  And she’s got the scars to prove that she has earned everything all those things. What really stood out is her love of family and writing.  And I’m so glad she wrote this book!

From Pigtails to Chin Hairs: A Memoir and More receives 4 out of 5 stars in Julie’s world.

No comments:

Post a Comment