Thursday, January 21, 2021

The Amber Spyglass

 

The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman; 467 pages

This is the conclusion of the "His Dark Materials" trilogy by Philip Pullman. I've been rereading this series because I've had a hard time finishing new books, but I didn't want to stop reading. So I picked up something I knew I loved and knew I would finish. 

It's difficult to describe this book without referencing the previous two titles. All the main characters of the previous two books return, and we follow closely the stories of Will and Lyra, both separate and reunited, and Mary Malone, a scientist who met Lyra in the second book. These three characters play important parts in a destiny that has caused all of the alternate worlds to either work to keep Lyra from fulfilling a prophecy, or to aid her and keep her alive in order to do so. Mary ends up in a beautifully described alternate world inhabited by strange but gracious and kind people, and I loved reading the descriptions of this world and its people again.

I really can't give a recap, as it might contain spoilers from some of the previous books! I will say that this book is excellent and recommended for any teen or adult who wishes to be swept away by beautiful writing and unforgettable characters and events. Now I will move on to Pullman's companion series to these books and will get to read about Lyra at other times in her life!

No comments:

Post a Comment