Saturday, June 12, 2021

Broken Silence: Conversations with 23 Silent Film Stars

Broken Silence: Conversations with 23 Silent Film Stars by Michael G. Ankerich 331 pages

When I think of silent movie stars, there are certain figures who leap to mind: Mary Pickford, Charlie Chaplin, Valentino, Lillian Gish, Tom Mix, Keystone Cops, Theda Bara. In addition there are countless other who started in the silent but really made a name for themselves in the talkies: Greta Garbo, Clark Gable, Laurel & Hardy, Gary Cooper, to name only a few.

In his book, “Broken Silence: Conversations with 23 Silent Film Stars,” author Ankerich chose to highlight the ones who may have been household names decades ago, but who have sadly faded from memory. With the exception of one that is: Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. I’m expected more of the remembered names and less of those who have receded into the twilight.

Ankerich conducted these interviews from 1987 to 1991. He had three methods of interviewing these now-elderly individuals: by mail, by phone or in person. He started with Lina Basquette and ended with Dorothy Janis. Remember them? Me either.

I liked the Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. chapter a lot. Maybe it’s because I know a little more about him, his career and his life. Other than that chapter, I was disappointed in this book. I felt like all the mini-bios were just a collection of facts, some more engaging than others, but most kept me at arm’s length. I never felt pulled into their stories; they didn’t touch me at all.

“Broken Silence: Conversations with 23 Silent Film Stars” receives 2 out of 5 stars in Julie’s world.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment