Thursday, May 15, 2014

Anne of Green Gables

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery, 309 pages

Anne Shirley is a red-headed spitfire of a girl, an orphan who is mistakenly delivered to siblings Marilla and Matthew Cuthbert (who wanted a boy to help out on the farm). She's a fast-talking child with an imagination that knows no bounds and a penchant for getting in trouble. This is a bit of a change for the middle aged Cuthberts, who are conservative, quiet, and proper.

This was my first encounter with Anne, and I really enjoyed it. (I have no idea how I managed to make it this far in life without experiencing anything Anne related, yet that's exactly what happened.) At first, I was a bit worried that I'd grow tired of Anne's non-stop prattle, which Montgomery presents in page-long paragraphs, though, much like the Cuthberts, I soon fell in love with the charm of this funny child. What a wonderful story, and I can see why it's a classic. I'll definitely be reading more of the Avonlea series!

No comments:

Post a Comment