Thursday, March 5, 2015

Brown Girl Dreaming

Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson, 337 pages


This is an autobiography, told in verse.  Of all the books I’ve ever read that were told in verse. I think this one might be favorite.  This is not my favorite style of book but I really felt like the story had a great flow.  I really enjoyed this story and really feel like I got some great insights to Jacqueline’s life as a child.  We follow her from her birth in Ohio through her mother and father’s separation and their move to South Carolina and then to New York.  In South Carolina, Jacqueline and her brother and sister lived with her mother’s parents.  Because they were so young and their father was no longer in the picture, the called their grandfather “Daddy”, as their mother did.  Because she lived in both the north and the south, Jacqueline had a good view of how the Civil Rights movement moved through the country.  However, the book only talks about any of that insofar as it relates directly to her.  I would highly recommend this book to any child looking for a biography or kids who like novels in verse.  This will even work for reluctant readers, probably, because there is a lot of white space on each page.

No comments:

Post a Comment