Thursday, March 5, 2015

The Disenchantments

Cover image for The Disenchantments by Nina LaCour, 308 pages

I'm not sure I should be allowed read books like this. For the first 1/3 or so, it has this all-too-familiar feeling, where main character Colby is in a fight with a friend - someone that he cares about too much to leave or do anything against - and thus is left with only one option: batten down the hatches and pout. It may sound like I'm making fun of him, but I'm actually so familiar with the tactic (and the book is written well enough) that it basically transferred that mood, that feeling, to me. I was reading the book, pouting on Colby's behalf, as though I were the one in an argument with no leverage. That's a strong statement, when a book makes you empathize that way.

The characters all start as disheartening band-on-a-roadtrip stereotypes, but break out of them pretty quickly, and all but shatter those stereotypes by the end. There are a few too many instances of "sage characters with a lesson to impart," and the last chapter or so feels like it can't decide if it's gotten its message across, so it keeps throwing out "profound statements" hoping one sticks. But everything in the B section of this A-B-A journey is intelligent and emotionally resonant, and most of the As aren't bad either.

The characters are great (one of the side characters in particular is great enough I wish I could discuss them here), and their motivations and reactions are believable. In the end, this is the kind of book that makes you believe in the goodness of people, without coming across as sappy or patronizing. A wonderful read with a few small hiccups.

No comments:

Post a Comment