Saturday, March 21, 2015

I’ll Give You The Sun

I’ll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson, 371 pages


This story is told alternately by twins Noah and Jude.  Noah’s story is told from their 13 year old perspective, giving the background for Jude’s current story at 16.  Although they were inseparable at one time now they barely speak.  Jude was accepted into an exclusive art school when she wasn’t sure she even wanted to go.  Noah, on the other hand, was desperate to be accepted there but wasn’t.  All of this is mixed in with their parent’s separation and their mother’s accidental death, along with Noah recognizing that he is gay, but immediately hiding it from nearly everyone.  By the end of the story, all of the reasons for the twins’ heartaches are revealed and while I thought some parts were obvious, I had a few surprises at the end.  I thought that it was a really good coming of age story that a lot of teens could relate to.

No comments:

Post a Comment