Tuesday, May 17, 2016

By Light We Knew Our Names

By Light We Knew Our Names by Anne Valente.  200 pages.

This is a book of short stories that I don't think I would have known about if it weren't part of a reading project that I'm currently involved with.  Partly because it was published in 2014, and mostly because I don't usually pick up collections of stories.  I have nothing against collections of short stories; it's just that I tend to pick up single fiction or nonfiction books.  Although, I have reconsidered that statement, since I really enjoyed Helen Ellis' book of stories recently.  And Neil Gaiman's.  And ...

Anyway, this book of stories is quite varied.  There are realistic stories, and fantastical tales mixed in, but, as the Goodreads summary says, " this collection explores the thin border between magic and grief."  I would agree with that.  They all share the same beautiful, evocative writing, and I found that I really enjoyed going from one story to the next, not knowing what I would encounter.   Some of the stories are pretty hard-hitting, and quite emotional.  However, they are thoughtful and thought-provoking.  I felt like nothing was wasted here; every word felt chosen with care, and each story carefully crafted.   

This might be just the book for a reader who says they don't like short stories because even though it's a single author, there is a lot of variety in the stories.  And if you do enjoy short stories, you're in for a real treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment