Monday, May 30, 2016

Shanghai Redemption

Shanghai Redemption by Qiu Xiaolong.  320 pages.

For many years, Chen Cao has managed to balance the interests of the Communist Party in China and the promises made by his job.  Both the deputy party secretary of the bureau and Chief Inspector of Special Investigations of the Shanghai Police Department, he was a rising star in the Party.  However, he has investigated one too many controversial cases and now finds himself stripped of his job duties (although under the guise of a new promotion and title).  As if this isn't enough, it now seems that someone is trying to set him up for public disgrace.

This is the ninth Inspector Chen Cao mystery, and the first one I have read. In this case, Chen Cao is technically in charge of a corruption case of a "Red Prince," who has connections and power that deflect Chen Cao's attempts to bring him to justice.  While set in today's China, there are elements from China's past that keep surfacing, which have dangerous overtones.  For example, "Red" songs from the time of the Cultural Revolution are becoming popular again.

While I wasn't familiar with this series, or the main character, I found the story pretty easy to follow.  It is steeped in Chinese history and tradition, and I found myself remembering what I have read and learned about the Great Leap Forward and the Cultural Revolution. I think that if you have familiarity with this period in China's history, what drove both of these events, and what happened during and after them, you may feel more connected to the story.  However, if you know nothing about Chinese history, I think the story will still be interesting.  The author does a nice job of weaving together many elements and steadily increasing the pace of the story, while underscoring the feeling of unease and danger that Chen Cao is facing.  I'm tempted now to go back and try the first one in the series and see how I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment