Sunday, May 8, 2016

The City Baker's Guide to Country Living

The City Baker's Guide to Country Living by Louise Miller.  352 pages.  On sale in August, 2016 (I read an e-galley of this book)

Talented pastry chef Olivia Rawlings admittedly didn’t make the best decision in her love life, but it takes an accident with a flambéed dessert to force her into a major life change.  With nothing to lose, she flees to a small town in Vermont to be near her best friend and she takes a job at a small inn.   However, she soon discovers that even though the town is small, the world that she has known is about to get much bigger.

This book made me hungry, not only for apple pie that Olivia keeps baking (and describing), but it also made me want to live in the small town of Guthrie.  Louise Miller’s writing is descriptive enough to imagine Olivia in this setting, smell her pastries baking, and hear the music in the story.  I found I became quickly immersed in the story, and it was hard to close the book at night and leave Olivia.   Even though I found I could anticipate parts of the story, it didn’t keep it from being an enjoyable read (and there were a few surprises along the way).   I feel that Miller has captured the essence of a great character, and put her in a setting that could easily feel like home to many readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment