Thursday, June 15, 2017

Check These Out

Check These Out: One Librarian's Catalog of the 200 Coolest, Best, and Most Important Books You'll Ever Read by Gina Sheridan.    256 pages.

"There you are, in the library, head tilted sideways, doing your best to navigate a blur of spines and titles to find one worth reading. Luckily, the hunt is over. Librarian, author, and book devourer Gina Sheridan has sorted through the stacks to compile a list of read-worthy titles you may have skipped over in your search."

Actually, I don't usually  have this problem of trying to find something to read. My problem is too many books and too little time (typical book addict, I know).  However, did my problem of having more than enough books to read stop me from reading this book?  Absolutely not!  And luckily, the book leads you to Gina Sheridan's website, where you can print out a list of the books in this book, so you can find them when you want them (and check them off as you go, if you like to do that).  I printed out the list and kept it handy, so that when a book sounded really good, I could mark it to put on hold for myself (not now, of course . . . maybe in 2 weeks when I've gone through my current book stack).

I appreciated that Sheridan broke down her suggestions into categories like "Daisy Dukes" (short stories), "Reel Good Books," and more.  I also really like that her suggestions are really diverse, pulling together all kinds of stories, writing styles, authors, etc etc.  Each book suggestion has a little summary along with some details about the book or author, and she has a way of making all of these sound great!   I was happy to see some books I've read and enjoyed here, but I've also got a list of some that will be new reads for me.   

No comments:

Post a Comment