Friday, June 30, 2017

Danger: Man Working

Danger: Man Working: Writing from the Heart, the Gut, and the Poison Ivy Patch by  Michael Perry     256 pages   due out September 2017 - I read an e-galley

In this book, Michael Perry draws on fifteen years' worth of what he calls "shovel time," a writer working as the work is offered. His subjects range from mountain-climbing war veterans to fishing, reflections on his mother and the unexpected benefits of going to a spa. Told with his typical candor, humor and insight, Perry shares these stories in a way that make you nod your head, let out a few laughs, and feel like you're spending time with an old friend.

I admit it: Michael Perry is one of my favorite authors. I have read all of his books (and own a few, although I'm hoping to complete my collection this Christmas). I have always enjoyed his writing and perspectives on the world around him, whether it's on his own life or what he's observing in others. I enjoy how his writing draws me in, like I'm listening to a good friend tell me stories over a beer or two. He has an honest view of himself, and I think that's part of why I like him so much: he doesn't take himself too seriously, but he's introspective and his stories often make me think and reflect. I also enjoy his humor and reading this e-book on the train recently, was laughing out loud more than once (which is why it was good I was in a single seat).  I was hoping someone would ask me what I was reading, just so I'd have an opportunity to share about this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment