Thursday, June 15, 2017

Strangers Tend to Tell Me Things

Strangers Tend to Tell Me Things: A Memoir of Love, Loss, and Coming Home by Amy Dickinson   240 pages.

I read Amy Dickinson's column, Ask Amy, and I listen to her as a guest on NPR's Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me --- but I really didn't know anything about her.  Someone had told me this was a good book, and since I like reading Ask Amy, I thought it would be a good read.

Through a series of linked essays, Dickinson writes about herself, her family, and how she settled into life when she moved back to the small town she grew up in. Her writing is very honest, and so reading this was like listening to a friend tell stories about their life.  I found her chapters about her mother to be especially poignant, and I loved reading about how she fell in love with her husband.  Some parts are funny, and some were reflective (sometimes, both at the same time).

This book picks up where her previous memoir left off, and since I enjoyed this book, I'll pick that one up in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment