Saturday, June 17, 2017

The Further Adventures of Ebenezer Scrooge

The Further Adventures of Ebenezer Scrooge by Charlie Lovett            Hardback Book:  107 pages            

I really wanted to love this book but I don’t.    I love the original story and when I saw this title while a bit skeptical since let’s face it Charles Dickens did not write a sequel, I was willing to give it a try in hopes that it might be a fun read,  however, it was not.   At least not for me.    I was put off by how the author portrayed Scrooge as an eccentric bordering on near lunacy.    Dickens’ characterization of Ebenezer Scrooge left no doubt that he was a learned man who ran a money making business.    He knew his craft well and he knew how to do the math or keep the ledgers as it were.   Scrooge was a smart man who knew how to make money and while his stone heart was turned to a charitable giver who knew  how to give generously and do good for the needy there is no reason to believe that he stopped caring for the business that made him a living  nor due to his philanthropy he was never interested enough in his business to continue in it very seriously and gave every cent he had away.   It was his livelihood afterall and I don’t think Mr. Scrooge would have given up his last cent though he would see to the well being of those in need in his power to do so.    This telling has Ebenezer losing his credibility with people because they believe him to be a loony as he goes down the street wishing people a Merry Christmas every day of the year.    Come on, Charlie Lovett, that is taking that keeping the spirit of Christmas in your heart way out of context and it lessens the effect of a good thing.     Like when we overuse the word love lessening its value and impact.   Also, Bob Cratchit who was such a dear man and loving father, to become a hard nose take only 1 day off a year guy after Scrooge makes him a full partner – No.   And Scrooge’s nephew who was fun and jovial, loving and sincere to become a lay about lout scared of his own shadow, what???     I like the idea that Jacob Morley continued to visit Scrooge and that they even had the occasional whiskey together (which went right through Jacob and onto the chair he hovered in) and that Scrooge was able to help Jacob lighten his load of chains over time.       I don’t agree with Scrooge getting the same 3 spirits to come back and in the Summertime to meet with 4 people of Scrooge’s choosing to show them Christmases past, present and future in the Summertime.   I get the climax, I get the author trying to tie the original story and his tale together but this one just did not do it for me try as I might to like it.    To me this was not an homage to Dickens but a case of fan fiction gone wrong.    

No comments:

Post a Comment