Saturday, March 31, 2018

How hard can it be

How Hard Can It Be?: A Novel (Kate Reddy #2) by Allison Pearson   352 pages  read a galley - book due out 6/5/18

In this sequel to I Don't Know How She Does It, Pearson brings back Kate Reddy, seven years after that first story and facing her 50th birthday.  Now, re-entering the workforce after a spell on the "mommy track," Kate is balancing work, teenage kids and a marriage that seems to have gone flat.

Like the first book, this story is a social comedy about working motherhood. It's funny at times, but you really get how frustrating things are at times for Kate. Her teenage daughter is a handful and the book actually starts with the daughter accidentally posting a photo of her nude butt on the Internet (I learned this is called a "belfie," or a butt selfie. I had no idea that I've been leading such a sheltered life). The book just ramps up from there. Kate's husband is basically unsupportive, having chosen to forego his previous career to take classes and concentrate on his hobby of bike riding. Kate's able to land a decent job, but she's in an office full of people younger than she is, so she's trying desperately not to reveal her real age. Through it all, though, Kate has a sense of humor about things and a determination to land on her feet. After all, how hard can it be, right?

It's been forever since I read the first book, so I actually didn't remember Kate and her story. However, that wasn't any kind of detriment here, and I enjoyed this book. I did at times, however, thank the stars that I have 1) an attentive, awesome husband and 2) no teenaged children.

No comments:

Post a Comment