Saturday, March 31, 2018

Esio Trot

Esio Trot by Roald Dahl     62 pages

Shy Mr. Hoppy devises a plan to win the heart of his true love by teaching her a spell to make her tortoise grow bigger.

I read this book when I was a child and I remember loving it very much, probably because it involved tortoises. But reading it now, I'm not as charmed, perhaps because as an adult, who owns pets, it seems rather deceitful for Mr. Hoppy to take this woman's tortoise and swap it with a different, slightly larger tortoise, all for the sake of inserting himself into her life because he "loves" her. In the end, her original tortoise, Alfie, ends up at a pet store and bought by some other girl. I'm a little miffed about the whole thing.

Anyway, the story itself is rather harmless (no danger, no violence, no evil or mean characters - just deceitful). All the tortoises are happy and sweet and I think that young children will enjoy the "magic" of the transformation that occurs.


No comments:

Post a Comment