Thursday, March 8, 2018

Shouldn't You Be In School?

Shouldn't You Be In School? by Lemony Snicket     325 pages

Young Lemony Snicket investigates a rash of fires that have plagued the town of Stain'd-by-the-Sea, revealing secrets that involve the Department of Education and the notorious villain Hangfire.

This is my least favorite book, so far, in the series. It's still well written, the characters are still great, developing further, a few new characters that are interesting, but the storyline, I feel, is weaker. I do like the introduction of a fragmentary plan that Snicket introduces - it is a great example of V.F.D itself, and I like certain portions of the story, especially reading about Snicket's clear adoration of food. 

But the humor was there to a lesser degree and this portion of the slowly building plot to catch Hangfire is not as enjoyable in this one. Maybe because there's more Ellington Feint than I'd like (as she's my least favorite character). But whatever the case, still good, just not as good as the other books in the series. I'm looking forward to seeing how Snicket will wrap it all up in the last installment.

No comments:

Post a Comment