Sunday, March 11, 2018

Inside Charlie's Chocolate Factory

Inside Charlie's Chocolate Factory: The Complete Story of Willy Wonka, the Golden Ticket, and Roald Dahl's Most Famous Creation by Lucy Mangan    224 pages

I just re-read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory recently, so this book was especially interesting. The author takes you through the creation of Dahl's book, along with the development of the original story and characters. You also get a lot of background about both of the movies and also the different stage adaptations (which I didn't know anything about).  The book is a good read if you're a fan of Roald Dahl's work generally, too. I learned a lot about Charlie and the Chocolate Factory beyond what I knew already, which was fun --- but it's also a great read if you're a fan of the two movies (and especially the first movie with Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka). The author does explore the appeal of the story, as well as the lasting cultural impact that the story has had on people.  I found this to be a fun book, but it also made me think about how this story has been enjoyed by generations.

I'd recommend this to readers who enjoy Roald Dahl's stories and would suggest reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, as well as The Emperors of Chocolate (just to get some good background on the chocolate industry).

No comments:

Post a Comment