Thursday, October 25, 2018

A Leap

A Leap by Anna Enquist  100 pages
The jacket copy is what inspired me to read this book…that and it was the August selection of my 2018 reading resolution to read twelve books that have been lounging on my bookshelf for years.

The first sentence of the jacket copy is “The characters in the monologues that make up “A Leap” are all looking for a home; for some kind of anchorage or self-realization, but circumstances or fate ensure that their goal remains elusive.”

That sentence really spoke to me soul.  Looking for a home…isn’t that what we all want?  A home. A place to call ours. A place to feel safe and secure.

There are five monologues in this short book. The first is from Alma Mahler, wife of composer Gustav and takes place in 1906. She is on the verge of a mid-life crisis. She should stay with the man for whom she gave up her ambitions, or have an affair with a old lover who has come back into her life.

The second monologue, is from a Jewish dressmaker, Mendel Bronstien, who leaves Rotterdam for America in 1912, but the trip is unexpectedly hard.

In 1940, Cato and Leendert, who also live in Rotterdam, are young lover trying to avoid the falling bombs as Europe rushes into WWII.

“The Doctor” also takes place in 1940s Rotterdam, and begins with a chilling sentence: “I should have killed him.” As a doctor, he must choose between his Hippocratic oath and the loathing he feels for the invading armies.

Finally, there is “…And I am Sara.” It’s the tale of a woman spending a night in her parents’ home while they are away, and how safe and comforted she feels.

I had a little bit of a tough time getting into this collection, mainly because I read Alma’s thought without speaking them aloud.  I felt a tad silly reading aloud to myself, but I believe that is how these words should be read.

When I finished each section, the story did not feel complete, I wanted more, which is why “A Leap” receives 4 out of 5 stars in Julie’s world.

No comments:

Post a Comment