Friday, October 26, 2018

When the lights go out

When the Lights Go Out by Mary Kubica    332 pages

When Jessie Sloane's mother dies, after years of illness, Jessie is on her own. She rents an apartment and applies for college, determined to get her life on track. However, when the college informs her that her Social Security number has raised a red flag, Jessie discovers something shocking and realizes she may have no idea who she really is.

As Jessie pursues the truth, she becomes an insomniac, which exacerbates her stress at trying to solve the mystery of who she is. As the days pass with little sleep, Jessie's becomes fatigued and her judgment is blurred. Can she tell the difference between what is real and what she is imagining?

I found this book to be good, but strange and by the time I finished it, I felt unsatisfied. Maybe because by the end of things, I felt as unmoored as Jessie.  This book had a slowly building pace, which was great --- but the twist that came felt completely out of place. Or maybe just too odd?  I like Kubica, but this wasn't my favorite book of hers.

No comments:

Post a Comment